Sugar Snap Pea and Cucumber Salad with Walnut-Dill Dressing
Recipe type: Side Dish
Delicate cucumber slices and refreshing dill are wonderful companions for crispy-sweet sugar snap peas. The robust flavor of a walnut dressing adds depth to the bright flavors in this summery salad. Friend of the Farm.
- 1 pound sugar snap peas
- 1 cucumber, peeled if thick-skinned, halved lengthwise, seeded, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil or peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1½ teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (about ½ lemon)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dried dill
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- freshly ground black pepper
- Remove the strings from both edges of the pea pods.
- Place the peas in a steamer basket set over 1½ inches boiling water, cover, and steam until they are just crisp-tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Drain the peas in the sink and immediately run cold water over them. Transfer the peas to a clean, dry dish towel and pat them dry. Place them in a large bowl and add the cucumber.
- Put the oil, walnuts, lemon juice, water, dill, and cayenne pepper into a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the walnut dressing over the cucumbers and peas. Toss until well combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.