Asparagus and White Bean Salad with Feta and Lemon Dressing
Recipe type: Salad
Served with crusty bread, this salad makes a terrific meal. White beans provide a delectable hearty-tenderness, without overwhelming the delicate asparagus. Tangy feta, zesty lemon, and a touch of mint give this salad a bright and refreshing flavor. Friend of the Farm.
- 1 pound asparagus, cut on an angle in 1-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup cooked or canned white beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup thinly sliced radishes
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced scallions
- Place the asparagus in a steamer basket set over 1½ inches boiling water, and cover. Steam until the spears are tender-firm, 4 to 7 minutes depending on thickness. Drain and place in an ice water bath (or under cold, running water) for a moment to stop the cooking.
- Put the olive oil, lemon juice, fresh mint, lemon zest, salt, and pepper in a small bowl and whisk until well combined. Drain asparagus.
- Combine the beans, feta, radishes, and scallions in a large bowl. Add the asparagus pieces. Pour on the dressing and gently toss. Serve at room temperature or chilled.