Mom’s Pumpkin Pie
Author: Peg Dearolf of Blueberry Hill Farm
Recipe type: Dessert
Prepare your Pumpkin: Cut the neck part of the pumpkin into 1 inch slices and then cut the rind from the slices. Cut the rounded bottom half of the pumpkin into two pieces lengthwise and scoop out the seeds; cut the rind off and chop the flesh into 1 inch chunks. Put the pumpkin flesh into a pan with a small amount of water and cook until soft. Mash, and place in a colander to drain off some of the liquid.
- 1 ½ cups cooked, mashed and drained pumpkin flesh
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract (or 2 tablespoons browned butter for a different taste)
- ¾ cup sugar
- Cinnamon to taste
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1 9 inch pie crust (either home made or from the store: for a recipe for pie crust go to Epicurious.com http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/101858 or http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/548)
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Separately mix the wet and the dry ingredients and then mix them all together.
- Pour the pie filling into the pie crust and place in the preheated oven.
- Bake at 425* for 10 minutes, lower the oven temperature to 350* and cook for another 30 – 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve with whip cream or ice cream…. Yumyum!