GRILLED EGGPLANT PARMESANAs published at https://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/grilled-eggplant-parmesan-3416372
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more oiling the grill grate and drizzling
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium eggplant
- 2 medium tomatoes
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil, plus torn leaves for garnish
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 8 slices rustic country bread
- Balsamic vinegar, for drizzling
1. Prepare a grill or grill pan for medium heat. Stir together the olive oil and garlic in a small bowl. Slice the eggplant into eight 1/2-inch-thick rounds.
2. Slice each of the tomatoes into four 1/2-inch-thick rounds. Put the slices on a baking sheet, and brush them on both sides with the garlic oil; continue brushing until all the oil is used, being especially generous with the eggplant. Sprinkle both sides with salt. Let sit 5 minutes to allow the eggplant to fully absorb the oil and salt.
3. Mix the Parmesan and chopped basil together in a small bowl.
4. Lightly oil the grill grate. Grill the bread slices until they have developed grill marks and some char, about 1 minute per side. Remove from the grill, drizzle with olive oil and set aside.
5. Grill the eggplant and tomato rounds, covered, until grill marks appear, about 4 minutes. Flip the eggplant rounds with a spatula, and place 1 tomato round on top of each. Top each stack with some of the Parmesan-basil mixture and the mozzarella. Grill, covered, to finish cooking the eggplant and to melt the mozzarella, about 4 minutes.
6. Garnish the eggplant Parmesan stacks with torn basil leaves, and drizzle with balsamic vinegar. Serve with the grilled bread on the side.
Ingredients available the Oakmont Farmer’s Market 7/22:
-Eggplant available from Clifford Family Farm
-Eggplant and tomatoes available from North Star Orchard
-Basil and tomatoes available from Blueberry Hill
-Mozzarella available from Conebella Farm
-Bread available from Vituperio Bakery