As published at https://food52.com/recipes/17913-charred-corn-and-avocado-salad-with-lime-chili-and-tomato
- 5 ears of corn
- 1 poblano pepper, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 pinches kosher salt + freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large or 2 small avocado, cut into small dice
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon cayenne or Aleppo pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 handful fresh basil and mint leaves, roughly torn
- Preheat your broiler to medium-high and place your oven rack about 4″ to 6″ from your heating element.
- Shuck your corn and remove the silks. Cut the kernels from the cob using your favorite technique and set them aside in a bowl. Add the diced poblano and sliced red onion. Toss with a teaspoon or two of olive oil to evenly coat, and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a sheet pan (you can line with foil for easy cleanup) or large skillet and spread out in an even layer. (Use something that’s nice and sturdy — flimsy pans may warp or buckle under the heating element.)
- Broil the corn, poblano and red onion for 3 to 5 minutes, shaking the pan a few times, or until charred in spots. You’re looking for some noticeable char, but be mindful to not overcook. Remove the pan, add the avocado, and broil for a minute or two longer. (If you don’t like your avocado warmed, just skip this step and add it at the end.) In the process of broiling, you may hear or see a few corn kernels starting to jump around on the hot pan — a good indication that they’re done. Remove sheet pan from oven.
- To make lime vinaigrette: whisk together lime juice, honey, and cayenne, and then slowly drizzle in the extra virgin olive oil, whisking until emulsified. Season to taste.
- Transfer contents to a serving bowl, add cherry tomatoes, mint and basil, and drizzle in the lime vinaigrette, a few teaspoons at a time. You may not need the full amount. Toss and taste for seasoning. Serve with lime wedges.
Ingredients available the Oakmont Farmer’s Market 8/5:
-Corn, basil and onion available from Blueberry Hill
-Tomatoes available from North Star Orchard
-Honey available from New-Bee Ranch