As published at https://food52.com/recipes/38328-fall-skillet-chicken-pot-pie
INGREDIENTSFor the crust:
- 1 1/4 cup All purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup Unsalted butter, cold, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup Buttermilk, cold
- 3 Springs thyme, leaves removed from stems
For the Filling:
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 3 Chicken thighs, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 White onions
- 2 Large carrots
- 4 Large garlic cloves
- 1 Small bunch kale, center ribs removed, greens chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup All purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Fresh rosemary
- 3 cups Chicken broth
- 1 Small to medium delicata squash, seeds removed, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 Large egg
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together flour and salt. Add in butter cubes and, using your hands, work the butter into the flour until small, pea-sized clumps form. Pour in buttermilk and sprinkle in thyme. Work liquid into flour until a shaggy dough forms. Knead slightly, form into a disc and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate while you make the filling. Dough can be made one day ahead of time.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Heat olive oil in a 10 inch cast iron pan over medium-high heat. Add in chicken pieces and cook until they start to brown, stirring occasionally. Transfer chicken to plate and set aside.
- Add onions to pan and cook until they begin to brown, about 4 minutes. Add in carrots and cook until they soften, about 10 minutes. Stir in garlic and kale and cook until kale starts to wilt, about 2 minutes. Season with salt.
- Reduce heat to low and sprinkle flour and rosemary on top of vegetables. Stir constantly for about 2 minutes, until flour is well integrated. Add broth and squash, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for about 10 minutes, until squash has softened.
- Return chicken to pan, stir, and season filling with salt to taste. Turn off heat.
- To Assemble and Bake: – On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to a 13 inch round. Gently drape dough on top of cast iron pan, tucking the sides in and crimping them with a fork. Cut four 1 inch slits in the center of the dough to vent, then brush with egg wash. – Bake pot pie for 20-25 minutes, until crust is golden brown. Let cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.
Ingredients available at the Oakmont Farmer’s Market 10/21:-Onion, garlic, kale, squash available from Blueberry Hill Farm-Onion and squash available from Clifford Family Farm-Chicken thighs, chicken broth and eggs available from Lindenhof Farm-Carrots available from North Star