As published at https://www.cookingwithbooks.net/2016/02/butternut-macaroni-cheese.html
- 1 pound regular or whole wheat pasta
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 cups whole or 2% milk
- 2 cups butternut squash puree*
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- salt, pepper, and nutmeg – to taste
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- Cook pasta al dente and set aside.
- Preheat oven to broil.
- In a large saucepan, melt the coconut oil and whisk in the flour. Cook for 1-2 minutes and add the milk and squash puree.
- Let thicken and add cheese. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Fold in the pasta. Place in oven-safe pan and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 5 minutes under broiler until golden brown.
- Note: To make squash puree, either roast or boil squash until tender, remove from water if necessary and glen until smooth puree is achieved.
Ingredients available at the Oakmont Farmer’s Market 11/11:
-Cheddar cheese available from Conebella Farm
-Butternut squash from Blueberry Hill Farm