As published at https://www.aberdeenskitchen.com/2016/08/heirloom-tomato-panzanella-salad/
- 4 cups rustic sourdough baguette, cut into cubes
- 1 ½ lbs large heirloom tomatoes in varying colors, cut into bite sized chunks
- ½ lb heirloom cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 cucumber, seeds removed, quartered, and sliced
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch basil, cut chiffonade
FOR THE VINAIGRETTE:
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Pinch of salt and black pepper
- Preheat oven to 300˚F. Place bread cubes on a baking sheet and drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and a pinch of salt. Bake for 15 minutes, until dried out and crunchy. Remove and set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss tomatoes, onion, and cucumber together. Set aside to rest while making the vinaigrette.
- Make the vinaigrette: Combine all ingredients and whisk together until thoroughly combined.
- Add the dried bread cubes and vinaigrette to the tomato mixture. Toss until thoroughly combined.
- Let the salad sit for at least a ½ hour, or up to 4 hours, to let dried bread infuse with the salad juices. Stir occasionally if desired to keep vinaigrette thoroughly mixed.
- Add basil chiffonade just before serving.
Available at the Oakmont Farmer’s Market 7/21:-Tomatoes, basil, red onion, and cucumbers available from Blueberry Hill-Sourdough available from Crusty Delight-Tomatoes and cucumbers available from North Star