As published at https://lifemadesweeter.com/pumpkin-soup/
- 1 *small sugar pumpkin, about 3 pounds, peeled, de-seeded, and diced into cubes (can also sub with butternut squash or kabocha squash)
- 2-4 medium carrots, chopped into rounds
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/4 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp curry powder, to taste (or sub with 1/4 tsp ground coriander, 1/4 tsp cumin, 1/8 tsp turmeric, 1/8 tsp, and 1/8 tsp chili powder)
- 3.5 cups vegetable stock
- 1- 13.5 oz can full-fat coconut milk
- Salt and pepper
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat oil and add onions and cook for a few minutes until translucent.
- Add garlic, ginger diced pumpkin, carrots and curry powder and let it cook for about 3-5 minutes. (Alternatively, you can roast the pumpkin and carrots before adding them to the pot. If roasting, chop the pumpkin into large sections instead of dicing them then spread evenly onto a large baking sheet with carrots and bake at 400F for 30-40 minutes, or until soft. This helps to soften the vegetables and bring out even more flavor. Once cooked, add them to the pot.)
- Pour in the vegetable stock and season with salt and black pepper. Bring to a boil, uncovered, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until pumpkin is fork-tender, about 30 minutes, while stirring occasionally. (If you roasted the vegetables ahead of time, you will only need to simmer for about 5-10 minutes.)
- Stir in the coconut milk (reserving some for garnish) and remove the pot from heat. Season to taste and allow to cool slightly. Use an immersion blender or pour into a high-speed blender (working in batches) and blend until smooth.
- Serve and top with some chopped cilantro and a drizzle of reserved coconut cream, if desired. You can also top with some roasted pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds or chopped pecans (or roasted chickpeas if not grain-free) for some added crunch.
Available at the Oakmont Farmer’s Market 10/13:
-Pumpkin, carrots, onion, garlic available from Blueberry Hill
-Pumpkin, carrots available from Clifford Family Farm
-Onion and garlic available from North Star Orchard