As published at https://iambaker.net/red-velvet-rose-sandwich-cookies/
- 2/3 c shortening
- 1 3/4 c white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 c buttermilk
- 1 tsp. red gel food coloring
- 2 c AP flour
- 1/2 c unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a stand mixer, cream together shortening and sugar.
- Once fully combined, add in eggs, one at a time on medium low speed.
- Turn mixer to low and add in vanilla, buttermilk and food coloring. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa and salt.
- With mixer on low, add dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. You may need to add more buttermilk if your dough is still a bit dry. (You may add up to 1/4 cup more if needed. Do not add more than 1/4 cup.)
- Using very small amounts, place dough into a piping bag fitted with a 1M (or 2D) tip. Pipe out individual rosettes onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes. Dough will still appear to be a bit “wet” looking when the cookies are done, and this is ok. Allow cookie to cool to room temperature.
- To make cookie sandwich’s, place about 1 tbsp on marshmallow buttercream on bottom of cookie, them place another cookie on top and press gently.
Available at the Oakmont Farmer’s Market 2/12:-Butter available from Conebella Farm-Flour available from Deer Creek Malthouse-Eggs available from Lindenhof Farm