|As published at https://www.simplywhisked.com/irish-shepherds-pie/|
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 large onion, diced
1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground lamb
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup beef broth
1 10-ounce bag frozen peas and carrots
3 – 4 cups mashed potatoes, cooled to room temperature
1. Preheat oven to 400˚F. In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat the egg into the mashed potatoes until light and fluffy. 2. Heat a large ovenproof skillet to medium-high. Add olive oil and onion. Sauté, stirring occasionally until onions are translucent.
3. Add ground beef and lamb, and continue cooking until meat has browned, breaking up the meat as it cooks. Drain excess fat.
4. Stir flour into the pan with the meat until evenly coated.
5. Add tomato paste, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, salt and frozen vegetables. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce has thickened, about 10 minutes.
6. Top the shepherd’s pie with potato mixture. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, or until the mashed potatoes have set and are starting to brown on the top.
Available at the Oakmont Farmer’s Market 3/12:
-Ground beef, lamb and eggs available from Lindenhof Farm