As published at https://oursaltykitchen.com/strawberry-kale-salad/
- 6 oz kale, chopped
- 3 oz spinach, chopped
- ½ lb strawberries, sliced
- ½ english cucumber, sliced
- 4 oz. snap peas, chopped
- ⅓ c chopped mint
- ⅓ c crumbled blue cheese
- ⅓ c slivered almonds
- roasted or grilled chicken or steak, optional
- ½ c extra virgin olive oil
- 6 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- ½ tsp sea or kosher salt
- ½ tsp cracked black pepper
- 1. Prepare the balsamic vinaigrette. Combine the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, salt and pepper and whisk until emulsified.
- 2. Prepare the kale. Lay a kale leaf flat on a cutting board. Using a paring knife, slice along either side of the center rib to remove. Discard the ribs, then roughly chop the kale into bite sized pieces. Repeat with all remaining kale leaves.
- 3. Massage the kale. Combine the chopped kale with ¼ cup balsamic vinaigrette. Using your (clean) hands, work the vinaigrette into the kale for 2-3 minutes to loosen the tough fibers. Set aside to further marinate and soften while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- 4. Prepare the remaining ingredients – slice the strawberries; chop the spinach into bite sized pieces; quarter the cucumber and thinly slice; chop the snap peas; and mince the mint.
- 5. Add the spinach, strawberries, cucumber, snap peas, mint, blue cheese, and almonds to the massaged kale, then drizzle with an additional quarter cup of dressing. Toss to combine. Portion into bowls with additional dressing on the side and serve immediately. Top with grilled chicken for a complete meal.
Available at the Oakmont Farmer’s Market 5/25:–
Kale, spinach, mint, and strawberries available from Blueberry Hill Farm
-Chicken and steak available from Lindenhof Farm