As published at https://www.eatloveeats.com/plum-blackberry-crisp/
- 100 g unsalted butter, (7 tablespoons) diced
- 110 g spelt flour, (1 cup)
- 50 g rolled oats, (½ cup)
- 25 g ground almonds, (¼ cup)
- 50 g light brown sugar, (¼ cup)
- 25 g dark brown sugar, (2 tablespoons)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 450 g plums, (1 lb)
- 150 g blackberries, (1 cup)
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons spelt flour
- 1. Start by browning the butter. Place the butter in a small saucepan and set over a medium heat. Once the butter has melted, keep cooking, swirling every now and then, until the milk solids turn a reddish brown and start to smell fragrant. This should take around 5-10 minutes. Remove from the heat and pour into a small heatproof bowl. Leave to cool until the butter has re-solidified. (You can speed this process up by placing the bowl into the freezer for about 10 minutes).
- 2. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- 3. Place the flour, oats and ground almonds in a large bowl and mix together. Dice the browned butter and add this to the dry ingredients. Rub the butter into the dry ingredients until it’s the size of peas.
- 4. Stir the sugars, cinnamon and nutmeg into the flour, salt, oat and butter mixture. Set aside.
- 5. Remove the stones from the plums and chop each half into 4. Place into a bowl with the blackberries and sprinkle with the sugar and flour. Mix briefly.
- 6. Divide the fruit between 6 small pie dishes or one regular size pie dish. Sprinkle the crumble mixture evenly over the top and lightly press down.
- 7. Bake for 25 minutes or until the crisp topping is golden brown and the fruit has bubbled up around the edges.
- Serve warm with plenty of vanilla ice cream.
Available at the Oakmont Farmer’s Market 7/13:
-Blackberries available from Blueberry Hill
-Plums available from North Star Orchard