Recipe from Ready, Set, Cook by Dawn Perry
- All- purpose flour, for rolling
- 1 disk Go-To Pie Dough (from Dawn’s book) or store-bought pie dough
- 1 cup grated cheddar, Parmesan, torn mozzarella, or crumbled feta
- 2 cups Long-Cooked Greens (below)
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. On a lightly floured surface, roll pie dough to about a 12- inch circle (don’t worry about it being perfect; ovals and oblongs welcome here). Transfer dough to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Scatter half the cheese over the bottom of the dough, leaving a 2- inch border. Top with the greens then the rest of the cheese. Fold the edge of the dough over the filling, overlapping as necessary. Brush the edges of the dough with the beaten egg. Bake until golden brown, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.
Long Cooked Greens:
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and season with a good handful of kosher salt. Add hearty greens such as kale, collards, or chard, trimmed and cut crosswise into 2-inch strips. Stir to wilt, about 20 seconds. Using a slotted spoon or tongs, transfer to a colander to drain.
- Heat enough olive oil to cover the bottom of a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Add a few smashed and peeled garlic coves and a pinch or two crushed red pepper flakes if you want these spicy. Cook, stirring often, until fragrant and garlic is golden, a minute or two.
- Add the drained greens, season with kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper. and stir to coat in the oil. Cover the pot, reduce heat to low, and cook, uncovering to stir a few times, until very tender, about 20 minutes. Uncover the pot and continue to cook until any liquid in the bottom of the pot evaporates, 2 to 5 minutes.
Tomato & Cheddar
Toss 2 cups halved cherry or grape tomatoes with 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (or 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme), 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt, and several grinds black pepper. Use in place of the greens with grated cheddar.
Squash & Mozzarella
Toss 2 cups thinly sliced butternut squash with 1 tablespoon olive oil, 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt, several grinds black pepper, and about 10 fresh sage leaves (if you have some). Use in place of the greens with shredded mozzarella.
Potato & Feta
Toss 2 cups thinly sliced Yukon Gold potatoes (about 2 medium) with 1 tablespoon olive oil, 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary leaves, 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt, and several grinds black pepper. Use in place of greens with crumbled feta.
Available at the Oakmont Farmer’s Market 1/25:
-Cheese available from Conebella Farm
-Pizza dough available from Crusty Delight
-Eggs available from Lindenhof Farm