- Recipe from: https://www.feastingathome.com/seared-turnips/
- 1 pound salad turnips, about 6-8 medium, cut in wedges
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 2 teaspoons mirin
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white miso
- 1/4 –1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup fresh shiso, cut in ribbons or roughly chopped
- 1. Scrape off any dirt or blemishes with a sharp knife. Give them a good rinse paying attention to the stem area (if keeping that intact dirt and rocks like to hide in the stems).
- 2. Cut turnips in wedges by cutting each one in half and then each halve in quarters or thirds.
- 3. Whisk together mirin, rice vinegar, grated ginger, miso and salt (start with a 1/4 teaspoon and add more if needed).
- 4. Heat a skillet on high heat for about a minute. Add avocado oil and turnips. With tongs, push the turnips around until most of them are cut side down. Cook 2 minutes and flip them over or stir them. Turn heat down to medium heat.
- 5. Leave cooking another 2 minutes.
- 6. Add ginger miso mixture, stir for about a minute or two to cook the ginger and to fully coat the turnips.
- 7. Remove from heat. Stir in the shiso.
- 8. Serve!
Available at the Oakmont Farmer’s Market 5/17
–Turnips available from Salvaterra’s Garden