|Roast Chicken with Balsamic Peaches|
Recipe Type: Main Course
This recipe has been adapted, but I don’t remember from whom – my apologies! I have adapted it to work for a pastured chicken, which has more muscle than a battery-raised bird and thus requires a longer, slower cooking time.
- 1 3 1/2- to 4-pound pastured chicken
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 peaches, quartered (peeled, if desired)
- 4 small shallots, halved
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- Heat oven to 300° F. Rinse the chicken inside and out and pat it dry with paper towels. Rub the chicken with 1 tablespoon of the oil and season with 1 1/2 teaspoons of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Place in a roasting pan or baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the peaches, shallots, vinegar, thyme, and the remaining oil, salt, and pepper.
- Scatter the peach mixture around the chicken.
- Roast until the chicken is cooked through which will be about 2 hours.
- Let rest for 10 minutes before carving. Serve with the peaches and pan sauce.