Recipe Type: Dessert
This is a very easy dessert that can be popped in the oven while dinner is being eaten, ready to come out warm in time for dessert. Can be eaten alone, or topped with a dusting of powdered sugar or ice cream….
- 4 Tablespoons melted butter
- 4 cups cherries, pitted – this is about 1.5 pounds
- 2/3 cup flour
- a pinch of salt
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- ½ to 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (depends on how much vanilla you prefer)
- Drizzle 2 tablespoons of the melted butter in a 10 inch pan (you can use a quiche pan, a spring-form, or a cake pan). Arrange the cherries on the bottom of the pan (you can sprinkle a few tablespoons of cognac or kirsch over them if you wish).
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. In a small bowl, whisk the flour and salt together. In another bowl, whisk the eggs with the sugar. Add the milk and the vanilla to the egg mixture and whisk until blended. Add the rest of the melted butter and the flour and salt mixture and whisk until smooth. Pour the batter over the cherries and place in the oven; bake for 5 minutes and lower the Temperature to 350 degrees. Bake for about 40 minutes longer, until the clafouti is puffed and golden brown. Serve warm.