|Cream of Broccoli Soup|
Recipe Type: Soup
This tasty soup can be prepared in 45 minutes or less. This recipe makes about 4 cups, serving 2.
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 carrot, sliced thin
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 pound broccoli, chopped coarse (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- In a heavy saucepan cook the onion, the carrot, the mustard seeds, and salt and pepper to taste in the butter over moderate heat, stirring, until the onion is soft, add the broccoli, the broth, and the water, and simmer the mixture, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the broccoli is very tender. In a blender purée the soup in batches until it is smooth, transferring it as it is puréed to another heavy saucepan. Whisk in the lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste, heat the soup over moderately low heat, and whisk in the sour cream (do not let the soup boil).
- Notes: This soup recipe is a good basic one which can be gussied up nicely. You might want to add a potato (for thickening), a roasted or sautéed onion, garlic, other spices, more stock in place of water, cheese, etc.; I bet some of Hill Acres Pride smoked cheddar would be wonderful swirled into this soup! You can also substitute yoghurt for the sour cream, but if you do, don’t cook the soup after you add the yoghurt or it will curdle. You could also substitute cauliflower for the broccoli and make cauliflower soup!