Recipe Type: Casserole
This is Lauren Feldman’s family recipe for Eggplant Casserole. This was her grandmother’s recipe, her mom made it while she was growing up, and now it is a family favorite!
- 1 large or 2 small eggplants
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 onion, chopped fine (though Lauren likes coarsely chopped)
- Salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese (Lauren uses cheddar)
- 1/4 cup melted butter (or a bit less)
- 3/4 cup cracker crumbs (Lauren uses bread crumbs here too)
- Any seasonings you want to add (Lauren suggests oregano and basil)
- Pare eggplant. Boil in salted water – Drain. Mash. Add eggs, milk, bread, onion, salt, pepper, cheese – and then blend. Place into greased 1 1/2 quart pan. Combine butter and crumbs. Sprinkle on top. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
- Lauren typically adds 50% more ingredients, dishes the eggplant mixture into 2 pie pans, and eats one that night and the second one the next. It is a great ‘make ahead’ dish!