|Lentils and Greens|
Recipe Type: Side Dish
Modified from Vegetables Every Day by Jack Bishop
- 1½ pounds greens (collards, kale, turnip, dandelion, mustard…)
- 4 strips bacon, chopped
- 1 T. oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 1 celery stalk, chopped fine
- 1½ cups chicken or vegetable stock
- ½ lb lentils (rinsed & soaked for 1-2 hours) — OR 2 (15-oz) cans black eyed peas (or ½ pound dried, soaked & cooked)
- 1-2 T. cider or red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- Wash & chop greens.
- Cook bacon in oil in large pot on medium heat 6 minutes, till crisp.
- Add onion & celery and cook till soft, 6 minutes.
- Add ½ cup stock and greens, stir well. Cover pan. Cook 4 minutes, stirring once or twice, till wilted.
- Add peas & 1 cup stock. Cover pan. Cook till heated through (5 minutes), stirring some.
- Stir in salt, pepper, and vinegar. Serve with (or over) “Healthy Cornbread.”