|Melon Agua Fresca|
Recipe Type: Drink
This is an easy way to use up those halves of melons that seem to lurk in the ‘fridge. It’s also a delicious, healthy and easy alternative to sugar-laden fruit juices, sure to delight adults as well as children.
- Melon (Cantaloupe, Watermelon, Honeydew; one or a mix will work)
- Freshly-squeezed lime juice
- Fresh Herbs (use your imagination: basil, Thai basil, lemon verbena, mint, peppermint, sorrel, even very small amounts of strong-flavored herbs such as parsley, rosemary and oregano, if you like them!).
- Cut the rind from the melon, cut the interiors into chunks and process the fruit in a blender until liquefied.
- Add the lime juice and sugar to taste (for instance, you might use the juice of one lime and one tablespoon of sugar per half cantaloupe).
- Next, add your herbs; you’ll have to do this to taste as well. Basil, mint and lemon verbena leaves make a delightful addition; use one alone or several together.
- Blend with the melon juice until the fresh herbs are reduced to smallish specks in the blender. If the juice is too thick add water, then chill, stir, and serve.