|Summer Pasta with Tomatoes and Chickpeas|
Recipe Type: Pasta
By Martha Rose Shulman of the New York Times http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/15/health/nutrition/15recipehealth.html?_r=1&oref=slogin
- 1 pound ripe, fresh tomatoes, peeled if desired and finely chopped
- 1 plump garlic clove, minced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar (optional)
- 1 tablespoon slivered or chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 pound fusille or farfalle
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta or freshly grated Parmesan (more to taste)
- Combine the tomatoes, garlic, salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar, basil, and olive oil in a wide bowl. Let sit for 15 minutes. Stir in the chick peas. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Add a generous amount of salt and the pasta. Cook al dente, until the pasta is firm to the bite. Drain, toss with the tomatoes and chick peas, sprinkle on the cheese, and serve. Serves four.