|Honey-Roasted Beet Salad|
Recipe Type: Salad
This is a lovely salad for fall because roasted beets add a solemn, grounded flavor to the spicy exuberance of fall greens that reminds us that the harvest is upon us.
- 1 ½ lbs. medium sized beets
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 2 medium red onions, cut into wedges
- 4 Tablespoons honey, divided
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ c. currants or raisins
- 3-4 Tablespoons chopped toasted walnuts
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 cups of a lettuce and greens mixture (mesclun or other mix)
- Simmer the beets in water (to cover) for about 15 minutes. Drain, rinse in cold water and peel beets. Cut into fourths. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a pan with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray or wipe with a paper towel dipped in olive oil. Arrange beets and onion on pan. Drizzle with olive oil and 2 tablespoons honey. Roast at 400 degrees until beets are tender, about 40 minutes, and the transfer the beets and onions to serving bowl.
- Combine remaining 2 tablespoons honey, 2 tablespoons vinegar, 6 tablespoons olive oil, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste (note: you could also add some mustard to this salad dressing if you wish). Drizzle this mixture over the beets and onions and toss. Add currant/raisins and walnuts; toss again with the greens and serve.