|Oven Baked Sweet Potato Chips|
- I large sweet potato Salt and pepper and other spices to mix with the salt and pepper (see below)
- Additional spices: a great way to augment the flavor of sweet potato chips is with lime and salt (kinda like a non-alcoholic and healthy margarita!). Grate the zest from a lime and mix with a good quality sea salt or kosher salt. Sprinkle on the chips before you bake them. You might also want to try other spices such as cumin, cinnamon, thyme, oregano, etc. Use your imagination!
- Heat oven to 200°F with two racks and line two baking pans with parchment paper.
- Slice potato crosswise, as thin as possible.
- Arrange the slices on the prepared sheets, and keep them from touching as much as possible.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper or another spice mix.
- Cook for 50 minutes; slices will dehydrate and shrink – turn chips over, and rotate baking sheets if needed for even cooking.
- Cook until slices are crisped and fluted around the edges and the centers are still orange, not brown, 30 to 40 more minutes.
- Transfer to cooling racks, and cool chips on baking sheets. (Chips will be soft when removed from oven and will crisp as they cool.)
- You can store the chips in an airtight container, at room temperature, for up to 3 days.