As published at https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/french-onion-and-apple-grilled-cheese/
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 yellow onions, thinly sliced
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 3/4 cup apple cider
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 slices prosciutto (optional)
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups shredded fontina cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded gouda or white cheddar cheese
- 1 honeycrisp apple, thinly sliced
- 1. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil shimmers, add the onions and cook 3 minutes, until softened. Add half the apple cider, season with salt and pepper and continue cooking another 5 minutes, until the cider has mostly evaporated. Add the remaining cider and cook another 5 minutes or until the onions are golden and caramelized. Add the thyme, sage, and crushed red pepper, cook another minute. Remove from the heat.
- 2. In a large skillet set over medium heat, cook the prosciutto until crisp, about 2 minutes per side. Remove from the skillet.
- 3. Brush the outside of each slice of bread with olive oil. On the inside of half of the slices of bread, evenly layer the cheeses, onion, apples, and prosciutto. Add the top piece of bread, olive oil side facing up.
- 4. Place the sandwiches, 1-2 at a time, in the skillet and cook until golden on each side, about 3-5 minutes per side. During the last minute of cooking, add 1/2 tablespoon butter and 2 sage leaves. Repeat with the remaining 2 sandwiches. Serve immediately, topping with the crispy sage. EAT and ENJOY.
Available at the Oakmont Farmer’s Market 12/14:
-Butter and cheddar cheese available from Conebella Farm
-Sourdough bread available from Crusty Delight
-Apples available from North Star Orchards