Polish Sausage, Apples, and Red Cabbage
Recipe type: Main Dish
This is a perfect recipe for fall – so many of the ingredients are available right now at the Oakmont Farmers Market. Several of our vendors (Backyard Bison, Lindenhof, Birchrun, and Lime Valley Mill) carry sausages that could be used in this dish. Other farmers (Blueberry Hill, North Star Orchard, Fruitwood Farms, Lime Valley Mill) can provide the apples, onions, and cabbage. It’s an easy, healthy and quick recipe, and sure to please everyone in the family. Makes 4 to 6 servings.
- 2 T. vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 medium red cabbage, shredded
- 4 tart apples (cored and sliced...peeling optional)
- 2½ lbs. Kielbasa sausage
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 t. dried thyme
- ½ t. ground mace
- ½ t. ground black pepper
- ½ cup broth (beef, chicken or vegetable)
- 1 T. wine vinegar
- Sauté onions and garlic in oil for 5 minutes in a large kettle.
- Add cabbage, and sauté for 5 minutes, then stir in apple slices.
- Add sausage to kettle, along with spices, broth, and vinegar.
- Bring pot to a boil, reduce heat and cover.
- Let simmer for 30 to 40 minutes
- Remove sausage and cut into portions.
- Arrange vegetables on a serving plate, with sausage pieces on top.