Recipe Type: Dessert
This is a very simple dessert and is an elegant, tasty and light finish to a meal.
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- ½ cup sugar
- The grated zest of a lemon (about 1 teaspoon)
- Juice of one lemon
- Whipped cream for serving
- Put three and a half cups of the blueberries and all of the sugar into a blender or a food processor and blend until smooth and fully integrated. Strain through a fine mesh to eliminate the seeds – be sure to press through all the juice.
- Add a scant cup of water and the lemon zest and juice to the blueberry puree and pour out onto a shallow baking tray. Place in the freezer and stir with a fork every hour for four hours. Fluff the granita with the fork just before serving, then place in 4-6 chilled bowls or glasses and sprinkle the remaining blueberries on top of the granita. Add a dollop of whipped cream and serve. Makes 4 to 6 servings.
- Note: this recipe can be played with – add a touch of chopped fresh mint or thyme (lemon thyme would be nice, I suspect) or top with lemon curd in place of the whipped cream, etc. The possibilities are practically endless!