As published at https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/mushroom-al-pastor-tacos/
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo
- ¼ cup apple cider or white vinegar
- 2 cups fresh pineapple chunks
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cups shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 12 toasted corn or flour tortillas
- 4 ounces feta or goat cheese, crumbled
- mashed avocado and lime wedges, for serving
GARLIC LIME SPECIAL SAUCE
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice + 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 1 clove garlic, grated (use 2 if you love garlic)
1. Make the chipotle pineapple sauce. In a blender or food processor combine the garlic, chili powder, paprika, chipotle chilies, 1/3 cup water, vinegar, 1 cup of pineapple chunks, and a pinch of salt. Blend until completely smooth. Stir in the sesame seed.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When the oil shimmers, add the cremini mushrooms, onions, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, until the mushrooms begin crisping on the edges. Add the shiitake mushrooms, and continue to cook for another 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low, stir in about 1/2 of chipotle pineapple sauce and the remaining 1 cup of pineapple chunks. Simmer for 5-8 minutes or until the sauce has reduced and coats the mushrooms, there will still be sauce left in the pan. Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro.
3. To make the special sauce. Combine all ingredients in a bowl, adding 1-2 tablespoons water if needed to thin the sauce. Taste and season with salt.
4. Stuff the mashed avocado (if using), mushrooms, and pineapple into the warmed tortillas. Top with additional chipotle pineapple sauce, special sauce, cilantro, and cheese. Enjoy!
Available at the Oakmont Farmer’s Market 4/24:
-Goat cheese available from Amazing Acres
-Greek yogurt available from Conebella Farm
-Shiitake mushrooms available from Forest Floor Mushroom Co.