- 4 tablespoons olive oil, ghee, or butter (the ghee elevates!)
- 1 extra-large onion, diced
- 1 cup carrots, thinly sliced (or one red bell pepper) or use both)
- 2 lbs fresh tomatoes (or one, 28-ounce can of San Marzano Tomatoes)
- 1 cup water plus 1-2 bouillon cubes (chicken or veggie)
- 2 tablespoons sugar, honey or maple syrup (or sugar alternative)
- 1 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 10–15 basil leaves
- pinch cayenne (optional, but good)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or half and half (or sub-cashews-see notes)
- 1–2 tablespoons sour cream- optional!
- Add chopped tomatoes for more texture
- Add a few basil ribbons
- Sourdough croutons
- parmesan cheese
- Heat butter in a heavy bottom pan over medium-high heat. Add the onions, and saute until softened about 3-4 minutes. Add the carrots, lower heat to medium, saute 3-4 minutes more until onions are golden and fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes, water, bouillon cubes, honey or sugar, salt and pepper. (If making this vegan, add cashews now-see notes.) Stir, increase heat and bring to a simmer, cover, then lower heat to low, so it’s gently simmering. Simmer 10-15 minutes until the tomatoes have broken down and carrots are tender. Remove from heat
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup adding the basil leaves. Or you can blend in a blender.
- Return it to the pot. Stir in the cream.
- Taste and adjust salt and sugar. Add a little pinch of cayenne.
- Whisk in the sour cream if you like.
- Serve in bowls with basil ribbons, arugula almond pesto, croutons, pecorino, or fresh little tomatoes (halved).
If making this vegan, add 1/3-1/2 cup raw cashews to simmering tomatoes to soften before blending. You will need to blend the soup a little longer.
To use broth or stock instead of bouillon cubes- feel free, but you will need to increase the salt to taste.
Feel free to add: garlic or celery when you add the carrots.
STORE: Soup will last 4 days in the fridge or freeze for winter in mason jars with 1-inch headroom (for expansion).
Available at the Oakmont Farmer’s Market 9/20:
-Butter available from Conebella Farm
-Sourdough bread (for croutons) available from Crusty Delight
-Stock available from Lindenhof Farm
-Onions, carrots, tomatoes available from Salvaterra’s Gardens